Saturday, August 30, 2008

All the News That Fits Like Print

Like a glove I say!

McCain chooses Alaska governor, Sarah Palin, as his vice-president. She is a working mother with political experience, is pro-life, hard-working and can rock a pair of high-heels. Ha! In your face, Obama! Choosing some guy who doesn't know what the Church teaches. Yeah, that will win voters over.

If anyone still doubts al-Qaeda's homicidal tendencies and willingness to use innocent people for their twisted aims, please read here. For the record, they are not desperate, they are evil. This is not progressive, it is murder.

When an arbiter ruled against Cuban athlete Angel Matos, he kicked the said arbiter in the face. Fidel Castro, ever wont to preserve the image of the gracious communist, defended the athlete's actions, saying that Matos' kick to the face was "heroic" in the presence of wealthier athletes (but Michael Moore said Cuba was a "paradise). Is that so? I assumed Matos assaulted the man because he was a spoiled bully who didn't get his way.

I often wonder if artistes even know who Hitler is. In order to make an adequate comparison of someone or something, there must be a resemblance. How Stephen Harper and George Bush resemble the infamous Austrian dictator, I do not know, but refusing to fund certain artists can hardly be considered oppressive or a case of censorship. If I was Stephen Harper, I would milk this. I would say: "This is why you're not getting funding. You can't even tell me who Hitler is, let alone produce a taxpayer-funded work that someone will pay $8 to see." Childish mud-slinging is a refuge of the scoundrel.

This makes me mad. The Vancouver Gold Club in Coquitlam, British Columbia has has decided to enforce an English-only policy. Many of its Korean members did not have adequate English skills to participate fully. The management had to draw the line somewhere. Good. Having spent four years teaching in Korea, something I enjoyed and do not regret, I wonder what my efforts were for if my students wouldn't use what was taught to them. Furthermore, Canada, having established language laws, should not have to cater to those whose sole reason for not adapting is because they would rather not. Also, it puts strain on those who work at the golf club because they cannot properly assist their clients. On a very personal note, I am surprised at this kind of thing from Koreans who impressed me with their willingness to learn and engage others from other parts of the world. I sincerely hope this is an isolated incident and not typical.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hi

I operate Opinions Canada, a political blogs aggregator. I'm writing to let you know that I've added your feed. I hope that's okay.

http://www.opinionscanada.net

Sorry to spam your blog this way.

Anonymous said...

I like Sarah Palin. She is cool.
:)