Thursday, October 20, 2005

It's a Good Season, Charlie Brown


Every morning, I count down the days to Halloween with my kindergarten class (they forget to add in Saturdays and Sundays). They grin with anticipation of they know not what. We have been preparing them for this day and I really hope they enjoy it when it finally comes. I teach at a hogwan (a small private school) in South Korea. Halloween is not celebrated in South Korea, save for the small North American migrant population, so the whole thing is treated as a novelty. In fact, I was treated to a few delighted looks as I walked about a major shopping centre in a witch's hat (I had just bought the hat and they didn't give me a bag for it. No, I'm not ashamed.). I scurry about trying to find ANYTHING that resembles Halloween. The last couple of years in Korea have been quite lucky in that regard.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell the kids that Halloween is all about the candy....Talia

Anonymous said...

I love the adorable pic of the kids in costumes. It's a good lesson about our culture.
Personally, I love Halloween!

Osumashi Kinyobe said...

I agree with Talia- Halloween is all about candy.
All Souls Day and All Saints Day is about prayer.