Thursday, March 20, 2008

You MUST Be Joking

Don't like your kid's marks? No problem. Just sue. That's what a boy's father in British Columbia is doing. The father alleges a teacher at a Montessori school has made every effort to destroy the child's self-esteem. Failing to make the boy do his homework, failing to display an unfinished poem in the hallway, failing to eliminate differences between the boy and his peers. All of these are offenses for which a teacher may lose her job.

Just reading this article makes me grind my teeth. Maybe my short-sightedness will not allow me to see how not following the boy home to make him do his homework, prizing an unfinished work, or making every other student the same as the offensive- I mean- victimised child but I can't wrap my head around this.

First of all, everything begins at the home. Manners, morals, work and study ethics are all the arena of parents. While I'm sure most parents are ardent about their children's educations, I think just as many take a lackadaisical approach. I've had parents tell me their kids didn't do their homework because of soccer or hockey games, or that they were just too tired after a vacation. Does the kid even have the ability to strive, or does he wait for the answer to be fed to him (I've seen lots of that). That being said, if plunking a kid down in front of a TV is one's idea of child-rearing, I'm not surprised why the kid ends up a C minus student.

Secondly, there are teachers who do know what they are doing. Not every teacher is hired for their ability to row or wrestle or coach a girls' soccer team. Not every teacher struggles to find Canada on a map but immediately knows where their superintendent-uncle can be found when a more plum opportunity arises. Some teachers care, and that is an uphill battle given the distractions and apathy of current times. If the parents expect their educators to be on-task, then a certain amount of trust must be had (that trust should be earned, though).

Thirdly, the material and environs do matter. Are the children fed and cared for at home? Are the school books up-to-date and accurate and without any bias? Are there any other working materials available for students? One would hope so.

I hope the parent in the article remembers his role as a parent and not as a litigious stress-basket who is afraid of letting his son experience real success and failure that come with schooling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, the nail *bam* hit right on the head.

I don't know what else to say. You said it all. Well, I do have one remark.

Ever consider politics?

~Your Brother~

Anonymous said...

There are three kinds of people in this world....