Wednesday, January 07, 2015


One of the gunmen suspected of shooting twelve people in Paris has surrendered to the police:

The youngest of the three suspects in the Paris terror attack on a French satirical magazine has surrendered to police, according to reports.

The news comes as anti-terror officers launched an operation in north-eastern France after 12 people were killed during the attack. ...

Two brothers and a third man have been identified as suspects behind the attack on the Charlie Hebdo headquarters in Paris.

The men have been named as French nationals Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, in their early 30s.
Hamyd Mourad, 18, is believed to have given himself up.

Police officials have said the suspects are linked to a Yemeni terror network.

Cherif Kouachi was reportedly convicted in 2008 of terrorism charges for helping channel fighters to Iraq's insurgency. He was jailed for 18 months.

Three masked gunmen stormed the offices of Charlie Hebdo, which has previously been targeted over its portrayal of the Prophet Mohammed.

They were armed with Kalashnikov rifles and a rocket-propelled grenade during the attack on Wednesday morning.

A major manhunt was launched after the men fled the scene in a black Citroen, which was later found abandoned in north-eastern Paris.

They then hijacked a white Renault Clio and drove off in the direction of the Porte de Pantin - one of the main routes out of the French capital.

The attackers called out their victims by name before opening fire during a morning editorial meeting.

They were let inside the Charlie Hebdo building by a female employee who was threatened at gunpoint along with her daughter and forced to punch in a security code to allow them inside.

The editor and a cartoonist for the newspaper, who went by the pen names Charb and Cabu , were among those killed.

Radio France chief executive Mathieu Gilet announced revealed that contributor Bernard Maris was also killed.

Two police officers were among the dead, including one assigned as Charb's bodyguard after he had received death threats and another who was shot in the head as he lay wounded on the ground outside the offices.

No comments: