Tuesday, June 22, 2021

"Why are we still fighting certain veterans groups in court? Because they're asking for more than we are able to give right now,"

 Yep:

Campbell, 38, hadn’t seen Van Eck, 40, in years, but said he knew his friend was struggling with homelessness and addiction since leaving the Canadian Armed Forces in 2015.

“We drifted apart, but . . . I always thought that somewhere down the road I would be reunited with a healthy Ben – the way I knew him,” he said.

Instead, Campbell was golfing last Thursday when he received a flurry of texts from army friends saying Van Eck had died.

“My heart sank. I instantly stopped dead in my tracks,” Campbell said. “Benny really meant a hell of a lot to me.”

Van Eck’s body was found in the grass south of Nelson and Colborne streets, near the former South Street Hospital site, on June 9. Police initially called it a suspicious death and assigned the major crimes unit to lead the probe. An autopsy was performed, but cause of death wasn’t determined.

London police identified the body as Van Eck’s on June 17.

 

 

No comments: