Sunday, November 29, 2009

400



The first Sunday in Advent marks my four hundredth post.

Advent is the beginning of the liturgical year in the Church and the start of the slow crawl towards Christmas. I loathe to think that people perfunctorily put up decorations and listen to maudlin Christmas tunes and bide their time until Boxing Day. It's a sad way to prepare for one of the most pivotal moments in human history and (from my perspective) the most wonderful time of the year (stop singing). Christmas does mark the Birth of Christ. It also marks a time in our lives when we can put aside our cold remove of others and relax into a state of fellowship and good cheer.

So, stop treating Christmas as a chore. Treat it as a time to prepare yourselves. Make a batch of sugar cookie dough ahead of time and bake as needed (include the kids as they love cookies and baking is a useful skill). Forget the trendy gifts and get something your friend or relative really needs. Remember that there are people who have nothing and give. Remember that centuries ago a remarkable thing happened.

Just my thoughts.

2 comments:

RuralRite said...

Personally, I think you're a closet cookie monster.
Good ideas for advent!

Osumashi Kinyobe said...

C is for cookie and it's good enough for me....

Oh- I was singing. Sorry.

Yes, cookies...